Print This Page See "Places of
The Cobden Sun Buildings,
Submitted by Joyce McBride. From the photo album of Elsie
In the village of Cobden
On Feb 21 1913 the Cobden Sun was destroyed in a fire that
destroyed an entire block of businesses along Main St.
The Sun was resurrected by martin Ringrose in 1918. He had
formenrly published "The Advocate" in Douglas. The building was on Main Street
and had been Roach?s Store. Here, Elsie Guest learned the printing trade. In
Oct 1919, D.C. Mcfarlane bought the business. He was a veteran of WW1 and a
native of Lanark, ON. His twin brother published "The lanark Era". Elsie Guest
and D.C. McFarlane were married in 1922.
A building on 36 Crawford St was the next home of the Cobden
Sun, built in 1922 by McFarlane. The Sun was sold by McFarlane in 1928 to
Arthur McCredie. Next, a son, Howard McCredie was owner and publisher. It was
bought by "The Eganville Leader" in 1975.
The printing office on Crawford Street was demolished in
1989 and replaced with a new building for editing, as printing was no longer
done at this site.